HTML Tutorial Tips
These HTML Tips will help you create effective website and guide
you about what is a must and what should be avoided.
- For learning HTML, simple text editor like notepad works best. Other software may
help you create your webpages quickly, but you will not have the full command over
- If you do not want to use text editor, try our
HTML Code Tester.
- Use lowercase for writing tags. Although Uppercase will work fine in web browsers,
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommends lowercase in HTML 4 and XHTML.
- Standardize font-color, font-size, background color, etc. and keep it same for all
pages of your website.
- Strandardize the structure of your webpages. This will help you to add and edit
- Bright colors, flashing pictures, moving texts, etc. should be better avoided. These
will distract your visitor from your website
- Keep good quality content in your webpages. If your website does not have good information,
visitors will not return back to your website.
- Keep the font-size of your paragraph at least 12px.
- For viewing the HTML code of any webpage, right click on it and select 'View Source',
'View Page Source' or similar.
- You may add comments anywhere in your HTML code between comment tags (<!-- Comments
-->). The comments between comment tags will not be displayed in webpage.
- Close all tags. Although most browsers will show your webpage correctly even if
you forget closing tags, W3C recommend to close all tags properly. Add forward slash
'/' to the tags which have only start tag (e.g. </br>)
- Avoid using depreciated tags and attributes like <font>, <center> and
- Unless it is absolutely required, I do not recommend to use framesets.
- Although you may use tables for your webpage layout, I recommend using CSS for this
purpose. After completing HTML lessons, must go through CSS tutorial also.
- You may use ready made templates, search for 'free website template'.
- I recommend to use doctype declaration for your webpages
- Spend time on selecting proper title for your webpage. This decides how your webpage
will be index by search engines.
- Must use meta description tag for all your webpages. It increases the visibility
of your website in search result.
- Meta keywords tag is no more important. However, you may like to add one in your
- View your webpage with all popular web browsers as some browsers may display your
- Use images on your webpage carefully. Reduce the size of images with image optimizers.
Putting bigger images will increase the time taken to load your webpage.
- Define width and height for images. In case the image does not load correctly, the
page-layout will remain unchanaged.
- Last but not the least - Keep practicing with HTML.